June 28, 2022, 15:23

Key senators announce deal on emergency security funding for Capitol police

Key senators announce deal on emergency security funding for Capitol police

The deal also includes more than $500 million to the National Guard to reimburse the department for the long hours guardsmen put in guarding the Capitol in the wake of the attack and additional funding will be allotted for making repairs to the building after rioters damaged the centuries-old historic building.

Senate Appropriations Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., told reporters that “We’re going to take care of the Capitol Police, fix all the problems that need to be done here (in the building), certainly take care of the National Guard, which is critical, because they have real problems.”

Stefani Reynolds-Pool/Getty Images, FILESenator Patrick Leahy speaks during a Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies hearing, June 23, 2021, on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C.

The Guard has been desperate for the reimbursement, threatening to cancel training events, drills in August and September and potentially furloughing civilians.

The embattled Capitol Police, still clawing back from the Jan. 6 attacks — enacting changes in leadership, grappling with retirements and officers walking away from the job after that harrowing day — have said they would be out of funding by mid-August if Congress did not act.

MORE: At 1st Jan. 6 committee hearing, police officers recount brutal, racist attack by Trump mob

MORE: Cheney slams GOP critics, calls Jan. 6 committee investigation 'deadly serious'

Leahy has said before that the money is also designed to address the backlog of applications for the program and shortening the work requirement to one year from two, but it unclear what will be in the final deal.

The State Department announced last week the “first tranche” of Afghans being evacuated from Afghanistan consists of 700 who worked for the U.S. military and diplomatic missions in Afghanistan and an estimated number of their family members — bringing the total to a “ballpark” of 2,500 Afghans set to be sent to Fort Lee base in Virginia, according to State Department spokesperson Ned Price.

Thousands more are being moved to other cooperating countries, as well as overseas U.S. bases.

Comments (0)Share to FacebookShare to TwitterEmail this article

Sourse: abcnews.go.com

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *